Saturday, February 09, 2008

I like to think that I'm pretty good at being amused by political maneuvering, but bald-faced hypocrisy continues to really irk me (which is presumably why I never jumped on the Romney bandwagon):

After losing a key vote that shreds the bipartisan truce that prevailed over the economic stimulus package in the House, Senate Democrats will be forced to backpedal and either work with Republicans or risk being accused of delaying a crucial jolt to the ailing economy.
Senate Republicans filibuster a bill, Democrats fall one vote short of invoking cloture (as in, eight Republicans voted yea on the cloture motion)... and the Democrats are the ones who "risk being accused of delaying a crucial jolt to the ailing economy." What the ever-loving fuck?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not exactly happy with my side of the aisle, either. The Democrats, as usual, got their asses handed to them. (Harry Reid folded like a cheap hooker who got hit in the stomach by a fat guy with sores on his face.* As Kos's mcjoan put it, "What's it going to take to get them to finally say 'enough'?") But seriously: how can it be a legitimate framing of the issue to describe a successful Republican filibuster as a Democratic "delaying" tactic?

No comments: