Thursday, July 22, 2004

The end of yesterday's In the Loop column notes this post-interview exchange between Rumsfeld and a hard-hitting radio host named Blanquita Cullum:


Cullum: "Thank you, Mr. Secretary."
Rumsfeld: "Well, thank you, Blanquita. It's fun to talk to you, and I hope to do it again."
Cullum: "Well, you know I'm one of your big fans. I love you a lot."
Rumsfeld: "Oh, terrific. Come and see us when you're in Washington."
Cullum: "Well, I live here. In fact, I work for the president. I'm on the Broadcasting Board of Governors for you guys."
Rumsfeld: "Well, for Pete's sake, why doesn't [Pentagon spokesman] Larry DiRita get you over here someday?
Cullum: "I would love it because, you know, I'm out there on TV a lot, and I'm one of your biggest allies. I stick up for you all the time."
Rumsfeld: "Good for you. Thank you. I appreciate it."
Cullum: "Take care, Mr. Secretary, and bless you. Thank you very much."
Rumsfeld: "Thank you."

In her defense, "I stick up for you all the time" is actually a common motto among objective journalists. In fact, the Columbia Journalism Review's website calls the phrase "eight little words to live by."

No comments: