Monday, February 18, 2008

This is so awesome that I'm going to post the video and then go ahead and transcribe it right below, in case it disappears.



Barkley: Hey, I live in Arizona. I got great respect for Senator McCain. Great respect. But I don't like the way the Republicans have taken this country. Every time I hear the word "conservative," it makes me sick to my stomach, because they're really just fake Christians, as I call them, that's all they are. But I just... I'm going to vote Democratic no matter what.
Wolf: What about you in politics? At one point you were thinking of running, back in Alabama. What do you think?
Barkley: Well, I just bought a house back in 2007, and in 2014, I promise you I'm going to run for governor of Alabama.
[Wolf, thinking [artist's interpretation]: Wait, did he say "fake Christians"? I think he... Oh, shit, he did. Oh shit oh shit oh shit. I'm going to get fired. I'm going to get sued. I'm going to get fired and sued and killed. How can I make them understand that I disagree? I love Christians! Oh, Lord, what have I done? Oh my God oh my God. ... And now he stopped talking. What can I ask him that would be logical? I mean, obviously I haven't been paying attention for the last ten seconds, but that's nothing new. I think my last question was about... governors?]
Wolf: And... and... and... when will you run for governor of Alabama?
Barkley: 2014. You have to have residency for seven years. And I bought my house at the end of last year, and I'll be eligible in 2014.
[Wolf, thinking [artist's interpretation]: Good save.]
Wolf: Alright, one quick point before I let you go. You used the phrase "fake Christians" for conservatives. Explain what you're talking about.
Barkley: Well I think they want to be judge and jury. Like, I'm for gay marriage. It's none of my business if gay people want to get married. I'm pro-choice. And I think these Christians... first of all, they're supposed to be... they're not supposed to judge other people. But they're the most hypocritical judge of people we have in this country. And it bugs the hell out of me, that they act like they're Christians and they're not forgiving at all.
Wolf: So... you're going to get a lot of feedback on this one, Charles.
Barkley: They can't do anything to me. I don't work for them.
Wolf: So you feel comfortable saying all that.
Barkley: I feel very comfortable saying I'm pro-choice and I'm pro-gay-marriage. Very comfortable.
Wolf: But you can't lump all these conservatives as being fake. A lot of them... obviously, most of them are very, very sincere in their religious beliefs.
[Wolf, thinking [artist's interpretation]: Way to go, Wolfie! You've still got it!]
Barkley: Well, they should read the part of the Bible, they're not supposed to judge other people. They forget that one when it doesn't fit what they want to say.

I cannot wait to donate money to Charles Barkley's gubernatorial campaign.

(Link via Deadspin.)

No comments: