Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Italian provocateur Marco Matarazzi comes clean:

[Zidane and I] both spoke and I wasn't the first. I held his shirt but don't you think it is a provocation* to say that 'if you want my shirt I will give it you afterwards'? I replied to Zidane that I would prefer his sister, that is true. ... Although I swear, before all this mess I didn't even know Zidane had a sister.
That's what Zidane was reacting to? Christ, I haven't played soccer since first grade, but I remember what it's like out there on the pitch: name-calling, cleat-stomping, dudes getting stabbed. And that's just during practice. Now, sure, it's worse in the six-year-old leagues: no cameras, no replays, and the only ref is an eighth-grader named Daniel who's not even paying attention. But, come on, I'd imagine the pro game is pretty bad at times, too. And Zidane gets red-card upset over some completely obvious comment about his sister? Get a hold of yourself, man.

* - No.

No comments: